Thank goodness there’s no pit bull ban in New York.
Had it not been for her powerful pooch Cain, Jackie Bonasera may not have lived to sing the breed’s many praises.
As NBC News reports, the Long Island woman was drying her hair in the bathroom of her East Norwich home when she heard Cain barking like mad downstairs.
His barks tipped her off that something was amiss and she ran to see what was wrong. That’s when she spotted the flames engulfing the garage, flames that began to spread from the back to the front of her entire house.
Thankfully she was able to escape in time but in her mad rush she forgot to take Cain with her.
“I ran out of the house and my neighbors came running over, and then I thought about the dog – I’m like, ‘He saved my life, I have to save his,’” Bonasera told the news network.
“So I just put my robe over my face and I ran back in and I grabbed the dog and then I stood out here and I watched my house burn,” she said.
It took over 70 firefighters to extinguish the massive blaze on Bonasera’s property. She believes she would not have survived were it not for her loyal pit bull, a sentiment echoed by her daughter, Alexus Stallworth, who called Cain the “town hero.”