- Ryan Getzlaf had a goal and an assist, Frederik Andersen made 32 saves to win his NHL playoff debut, and the Anaheim Ducks opened the post-season with a 4-3 victory over the Dallas Stars on Wednesday night. Anaheim led 4-0 midway through the second period before Dallas got rolling in its first playoff game since 2008.
More Sports News from TSN.ca
- Scott Cullen breaks down the opening night of the NHL playoffs, including Daniel Briere looking good for the Habs, the supporting cast coming through for the Penguins and the Stars' comeback coming up short in Anaheim.
- Brooklyn coach Jason Kidd sat his starters for the playoffs and the Nets closed the regular season with a 114-85 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night. Although the Nets could have clinched the Eastern Conference's No. 5 spot with a win, Kidd elected to rest Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, Deron Williams and Shaun Livingston.
- Bradley Beal scored 27 points and Washington clinched the No. 5 seed in the Eastern Conference with a 118-102 win over the Boston Celtics on Wednesday night. The Wizards will be facing Chicago in their first playoff appearance since 2008.
- The Winnipeg Jets confirmed Paul Maurice as their new head coach for the next four years Wednesday and general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff also raised the possibility of a trade to bolster the team's offence. Maurice, 47, guided the team to an 18-12-5 record over 35 games after Claude Noel's firing, a decision that Cheveldayoff said hurt him to the core.
- The Saskatchewan Roughriders rewarded quarterback Darian Durant on Wednesday. The CFL club signed Durant to a multi-year contract extension after he guided the Riders to a Grey Cup title last year, just the fourth in club history. Durant, 31, has spent his entire eight-year CFL career with the Riders.
- Tonight's game between the Toronto Blue Jays and Minnesota Twins has been postponed until Thursday as part of a split day-night doubleheader. Thursday afternoon's game will be played as originally scheduled, with the rescheduled game beginning at 7:10pm et.
- Michael Pineda followed an overpowering outing by Masahiro Tanaka with one of his own, pitching six innings of four-hit ball as the New York Yankees beat the Chicago Cubs 2-0 on a bitterly cold Wednesday night to complete its first doubleheader shutout sweep since 1987. Tanaka (2-0) struck out 10 and allowed just two bunt hits one replay aided over eight innings in a 3-0 win in the opener of the day-night twinbill.
- Miguel Gonzalez and two relievers combined on a six-hitter, and the Baltimore Orioles capitalized on two infield singles by Adam Jones in a 3-0 victory over the punchless Tampa Bay Rays on Wednesday. Nick Markakis also had two hits for the Orioles, who outscored the Rays 10-1 in the rain-abbreviated, two-game series.
- Canada's National Men's Under-18 roster was announced on Wednesday ahead of the 2014 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship, taking place April 17-27 in Lappeenranta and Imatra, Finland. The 23-player roster includes 12 players from the Western Hockey League, six from the Ontario Hockey League and five from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
- Five more players have accepted invitations to play for Team Canada at the World Championship, including forwards Jonathan Huberdeau of the Florida Panthers, Cody Hodgson of the Buffalo Sabres, Nazem Kadri of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Mark Scheifele of the Winnipeg Jets, along with defenceman Jason Garrison of the Vancouver Canucks. Hockey Canada also named Dave Tippett of the Phoenix Coyotes as the team's head coach.
- With the 2013-2014 NHL season in the books, Scott Cullen has his final take on the award races. Some of the names, particularly for the winners, have been the same throughout the season, but there have been many changes among the top contenders.
- TSN.ca's NHL Play of the Year showdown continues today with a battle between two forwards creating unbelievable goals. The third match-up of the Round of 32 pits the Ottawa Senators' Clarke MacArthur against power forward Jamie Benn on the Dallas Stars.
- The CFL and the CFL Players Association has just concluded two days of negotiations on the new CBA, former NFL receiver Chad Johnson is getting a look at Montreal's spring camp, and the careers of a couple of big-name players are still up in the air. TSN's Glen Suitor takes a look at some of the football topics that have managed to make news.
- Whether you care about the environment, your pocketbook, or both, avoiding kitchen waste is a good policy. But can you really eat those less-than-stellar fruits and veggies lurking in your produce drawer? Actually, yeah. Here's how to manage them. By Devon Scoble
- It's been 102 years since the 'Titanic' sank on April 15, 1912. But how much of what you know about that fateful night is based in fact and how much is based in film? While James Cameron was obsessive about getting many details right in his 1997 Oscar-winning blockbuster, he was careless about many others. Here's a look at 11 of his film's most egregious errors. By Jonathan Doyle