Khloe Kardashian made headlines last week after sources claimed she wouldn’t be invited back to host the upcoming season of The X Factor. But are these rumours actually true? X Factor producers Rob Wade and Andrew Llinares wouldn’t say one way or the other when asked whether they’ll keep the two-host format.
“We’re sort of at the beginning of the whole process at the moment,” Wade said in a recent conference call to promote the show’s Season 3 auditions. “We’re kind of looking at everything in the show whether it’s the hosts, the judges, the contestants, the whole show, really. We’re sort of working through it all. So it’s a little bit early for us to say, really. We’re still kind of open to all options I would say on that.”
Llinares explained why they went with two hosts last season (Kardashian and Extra’s Mario Lopez) instead of just one, which a lot of viewers and critics didn’t think was necessary. “I think we went with two hosts because we like the idea of doing something a little bit different to maybe some of the other shows,” he said. “We like the idea of almost bringing those kind of award ceremony feeling to the show. So I think that’s one way of looking at it. There’s obviously a case for having one host or two hosts.”
Despite not revealing if the E! reality star has been cut from the show, the duo had nothing but kind words for Kardashian. “I think Khloe did a great job and she obviously hasn’t hosted before,” Wade added. “We all felt she did a great job. I think hosting, in general, is a really interesting position in television because it’s very often people are very rarely very nice about it. It’s always everyone thinks it’s an easy kind of gig and it’s not. It’s really, really difficult.”
It’s no secret The X Factor has trailed behind The Voice and American Idol in the ratings department. “I think, obviously, what we’re hoping to do this year is to improve the show, make it as good as possible,” Wade said. “Of course, we obviously hope to have a ratings rise for a number of reasons whether that be the new judge or any tweaks we do to the format. Of course, we’re the [executive producers] of the show that’s what we’re hoping.”
The two showrunners said they’re focusing on auditions right now, which kick off in Los Angeles on Wednesday, March 6. “At the end of the day, the stars of this show are the contestants,” Wade said. “They really, really are and that’s what we need to focus on is making sure that we do a great, great set of auditions around the country. Hopefully find some true stars there.”