If looking polished at the gym is a priority, we have good news: wearing makeup while exercising isn’t great for your skin, but with the right products and a little extra effort, running doesn’t have to refer to both your workout and your mascara.
Hair and makeup artist Andrea Claire shares her expert tips for getting—and keeping the look, even when sweating.
• “The key to having exercise proof makeup definitely lies in the primer,” she says and emphasizes the importance of using oil-free products.
• “Avoid powder especially when working out as powder mixed with sweat tends to coagulate and oxidize,” says Claire, meaning globs of powder that may even change colour, basically ruining your polished look.
• “Opt for long lasting formulas, like gel liners and waterproof mascara.”
From left: Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Volumizing Mascara, $29, sephora.com; Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara, $19, sears.ca; Lancôme Hypnose Star 24 Hour Waterproof, $33, thebay.com
• “If you need to blot anything while you’re working out, remember to blot gently versus wiping, wiping will take off your makeup.”
• “But really, in the grand scheme of things, if you are one to sweat excessively, you are better just to wash your face and reapply your makeup to avoid breakouts and potential long term damage to your skin.”
Light, long-lasting and oil-free foundations
From left: Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30, $49, sephora.com; Almay Truly Lasting Color Makeup, $14.44, well.ca; Cover FX Total Coverage Cream Foundation, $39, murale.ca
Do you have any secrets or tips for wearing makeup at the gym? Share them below!