You know that Jamie Oliver is a world-famous chef, renowned for his playful charm and straightforward recipes. And you know he has transformed school lunches across the world and sparked a healthy eating Food Revolution.
But did you know he’s coming to Canada?
Partnering with King Street Food Company (of Buca fame), the affable chef has inked a deal for up to 10 Canada-wide installments of his premium-casual eatery, Jamie’s Italian, the first of which will open in Toronto’s Yorkdale Mall.
Until then, here are 10 fun facts to tide you over — appetizers, if you will.
1. When he was 38, Jamie Oliver finished reading a book for the first time. “I’m dyslexic and until recently I’d never got through a book,” he told The Telegraph. “But I read [Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games sequel] Catching Fire; I loved disappearing into a story.”
2. He secretly collects driftwood. “It might sound a bit mad, but a solid bit of driftwood makes for a perfect chopping board, the kind you’d pay a small fortune for in a department store.”
3. Although he frequently shares pictures of his family on social media, Jamie Oliver has banned his children— Poppy, Daisy, Petal and Buddy – from having their own Instagram accounts or cell phones.
4. He thinks women are better at BBQ than men.
5. He is England’s second best-selling author, after JK Rowling.
6. When he was ten, he released a stink bomb in his parents’ Essex pub, The Cricketers, causing all the customers to flee.
7. One of his early successes was catering for then-Prime Minister Tony Blair at an Anglo-Italian summit. Blair reportedly asked for a doggie bag.
8. He admitted on Instagram that when he visits Toronto, all he really wants to do is “pimp the CN Tower in to a giant Doner Kebab!!!”
9. Although The Naked Chef has turned down several nude magazine shoots, he does indulge his wife, Jools, in naked cookery.
10. But it doesn’t always turn out so well. One Valentine’s Day he burned himself. “I was naked in the kitchen and burnt my penis,” he admitted. “It really ruined my evening — and my night.”