The 90s are back, baby — but (unfortunately?) not in the way you might think. Last night’s American Music Awards had more performers born in the 1990s than ever before.
Oh come on, don’t tell us you didn’t notice. If you tuned in to last night’s AMAs, you must have spotted all those cherub faces up on stage. Maybe you’re in denial — we were too — but as you get older, the AMA performers just keep getting younger and younger. Yikes, right?
Want definitive proof? Take a look at our random list of utterly surprising facts about this year’s AMA performers:
1. 19 artists weren’t around to witness the fall of the Berlin Wall.
2. Lorde was only six years old when former President Bush choked on a pretzel back in 2002.
3. Every band that performed (i.e. One Direction, Imagine Dragons, 5 Seconds of Summer, Magic!, R5 and Lemonade) was formed in the 2000s.
4. The oldest performer, Garth Brooks, is 52. That’s 35 years older than Becky G., the youngest performer at this year’s AMAs. (Don’t worry, we have no idea who Becky G. is either.)
7. Mary J. Blige is only 43 years old. And here’s the real kicker, she’s younger than J.Lo.
8. Fergie was already 15 years old when Iggy Azalea was born 24 years ago.
9. Iggy jumped into the popular music scene just one year ago. Before that, no one had any idea who she was.
10. At the tender age of 21, Ariana Grande has already been dubbed the second coming of Mariah Carey.
11. Remember when we thought Lorde might secretly be a 35-year-old woman? Looks like we were wrong — she said meeting PitBull was equivalent to meeting President Obama…
Still can’t get enough of the AMAs? Check this out: