Ever wonder how rich people become…well…rich?
According to one researcher, clues may be hidden in their daily lifestyle habits — everything from what they eat to how they think to how they spend their leisure time. And no, we aren’t talking about eating caviar every day!
Author Thomas Corley, who documented the daily habits of 233 wealthy people and 128 poor people for five years, says a person who isn’t born wealthy can make lifestyle changes that increase their chance of becoming financially successful.
“I realized, it’s not so much what’s going on in business, it’s the daily habits, the activities, that are the reason for your wealth or your poverty,” Corley says.
That’s some seriously good news! Because really, who isn’t sick of the ever widening income inequality gap across the globe.
If you’re like us and bent on being one of the “haves” in life, read below for Corley’s research findings (as summarized by American radio host Dave Ramsey) and learn what rich people do on a daily basis that poor people don’t.
Your bank account will thank you later.
1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day vs. 97% of poor who eat more than 300 junk food calories per day
When in doubt, any junk food you buy at Whole Foods doesn’t count.
2. 44% of wealthy wake up three hours before work starts vs. 3% of poor
Easy peasy, right? Try setting your alarm to Metallica tunes to ensure an easy transition into your day.
3. 80% of wealthy make Happy Birthday calls vs. 11% of poor
Yes, this includes wishing Happy Birthday to your really annoying coworker who hums Justin Bieber all day.
4. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% of poor
Speaking of that really annoying coworker, you probably shouldn’t tell him what you think of him.
5. 67% of wealthy write down their goals vs. 17% of poor
Skip weekly goals and focus on a list of all the things you’d like to accomplish within a year or five years.
6. 76% of wealthy exercise four days a week vs. 23% of poor
She makes it look so easy.
7. 70% of wealthy parents make their kids volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% of poor
No, it’s not slave labour to make your kids prepare dinner at the local homeless shelter.
8. 86% of wealthy believe in lifelong educational self-improvement vs. 5% of poor
Working on bettering yourself, seeing past your limitations and focusing on positive thoughts can go a long way in achieving financial success.
9. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% of poor
While maintaining a to-do-list can seem like more work than it’s worth, it will ensure you remember to do things like pay that online credit card bill and prevent ruining your credit score.
10. 67% of wealthy watch one hour or less of TV every day vs. 23% of poor
Just imagine all the things you could get done on your to-do list without TV in your life.
11. 6% of wealthy admit to gossiping vs. 79% of poor
That’s right folks, time to cut out that water cooler talk at the office, no matter how badly your coworker is dressed.
12. 84% of wealthy believe good habits create opportunity luck vs. 4% of poor
This is probably the most telling factor of all. Wealthy people simply believe that their daily habits matter to their success…and as it turns out, they’re right!