Your brother is the one person in the world who thinks your strange brand of humour is hilarious; your sister is the only one who knows about the time you cried during a Disney movie…in Grade 10. There’s certain stuff that only brothers and sisters get about each other — and that’s probably for the best.
In honour of This is Where I Leave You finally hitting theatres, here are 13 things that no one but your sibling will ever be able to get their head around.
1. Your brother totally knows that your seemingly odd phobias have perfectly reasonable explanations rooted in early childhood trauma.
2. Despite your cool job, hip friends and ability to get reservations at the best new restaurants any night of the week, your sister never fails to remind you that there was a point in your life when you were a major dork.
3. That rivalry that began when you were little?
You’ve both accepted that it’s never going to end.
4. The better-looking Mom gets as she ages, the more embarrassed your brother will be about it.
5. Your sister is the only one who understands why you’re freaked out about having another baby (and she wanted you to know that she really, truly feels bad about feeding you that “third-child rumour” when you were kids).
6. You know that if you hog the bathroom your parents still force you to share during the holidays: You. Will. Pay. Your brother will see to that.
7. Speaking of the holidays…
8. You both agree that the best comedy duos are brother/sister acts…at least when the audience they’re performing for are themselves.
9. Your brother’s later curfew seemed unfair even to him, which is why he helped you sneak out all the time.
10. You know how to push each other’s buttons like no one else on the planet.
11. But when things get tough, you know you’re on the same team.
12. Which means you always stick up for your brother.
13. And you always look out for your sister.