A mark of a great biopic is that it features a lead who can convince us that we are actually watching the icon that they’re portraying. The secret to accomplishing this is for the actor to not only bust out some solid acting chops, but to actually look the part too.
Over the years we’ve seen some damn fine biopics that feature actors that literally seemed to become their historical muse. Especially on the outside!
Here are 15 actors that looked exactly like the icon they portrayed on the big screen, ranked from shockingly similar, to completely identical.
15 actors who looked identical to the icon they portrayed
15. Cate Blanchett as Bob DylanDude looks like a lady...or the other way around. Cate Blanchett found a way to transform herself into the perfect Bob Dylan doppelganger in I'm Not There back in 2007.The Weinstein Company/Getty Images
14. Ashton Kutcher as Steve JobsSure 2013's Jobs wasn't a great film at all. But from a physical standpoint, Ashton Kutcher really nailed the part of a young Steve Jobs.Entertainment One/Getty Images
13. Eddie Redmayne as Stephen HawkingEddie Redmayne not only delivered an incredible performance as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything last year, he also totally looked the part.Universal Pictures/stephenhawking.org.uk
12. Gary Oldman as Sid ViciousIn the 1986 tragic rock biopic Sid and Nancy, a young Gary Oldman totally made us believe he was actually Sid Vicious. Look at him!The Samuel Goldwyn Company/Getty Images
11. Michelle Williams as Marilyn MonroeMichelle Williams did the whole platinum blonde, dreamy-eyed, crimson lipped look so well in My Week With Marilyn from 2011 that people forgot she had anything to do with Dawson's Creek.The Weinstein Company/Getty Images
10. Andre 3000 as Jimi HendrixTalk about the perfect casting. Rapper and fashion guru Andre 3000 looks eerily identical to late rocker Jimi Hendrix in Jimi: All Is By My Side from 2013.XLrator Media/Getty Images
9. Val Kilmer as Jim MorrisonIn 1991, Val Kilmer brought late rock icon Jim Morrison back to life in The Doors biopic.TriStar Pictures/Getty Images
8. Jamie Foxx as Ray CharlesJamie Foxx won an Oscar for his 2004 performance in Ray because we all believed he really was Ray Charles.Universal Pictures/Getty Images
7. Daniel Day Lewis as Abraham LincolnWow. To say that Daniel Day Lewis looked the part in 2012's Lincoln is a gargantuan understatement. He looked like Abe resurrected!Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures/Getty Images
6. Robert Downy Jr. as Charlie ChaplinCreepy right? In 1992's Chaplin, RDJ literally looked almost identical to the late Charlie Chaplin as The Tramp.TriStar Pictures/Getty Images
5. Salma Hayek as Frida KahloSalma Hayek perfectly channeled iconic Mexican artist Frida Kahlo in 2002's Frida. She nailed the part emotionally, spiritually and most definitely physically.Miramax Films/Getty Images
4. Helen Mirren as Queen ElizabethHelen Mirren literally embodied Elizabeth II in The Queen from 2006. It was scary how identical they made her look to Her Majesty.Miramax Films/Getty Images
3. Anthony Hopkins as Alfred HitchcockAnthony Hopkins looked identical to his muse Alfred Hitchcock in the 2012 biopic Hitchcock. If it weren't for the black and white, you might not be able to tell them apart.Fox Searchlight Pictures/Getty Images
2. Bryan Cranston as Lyndon B. JohnsonThe make-up artists that transformed Bryan Crantson into LBJ for HBO's 2016 biopic All The Way can already count on getting their Emmy. Cranston does not look like Cranston...at all! HBO/Getty Images
1. Ben Kingsley as GandhiYes, that was really Ben Kingsley as Mahatma Gandhi in the 1982 biopic Gandhi. Kudos to the casting director and make-up artists!Columbia Pictures/Getty Images