Creamy, sweet, rich — how can anyone resist the charms of the humble avocado? From its lowly beginnings as a “California” or Mexican ingredient, this shapely fruit (yes, it’s a fruit) is now a grocery staple for households worldwide.
And you don’t need a lot of add-ons to make it taste even better. With our handy guide, a quick avocado fix is just a slice, smear or smash away!
15 easy avocado snacks you’ll wish you’d thought of sooner
1. Avocado + Sriracha + ToastThe toast trend is still hot, and for good reason. Start with a slice of fresh toast, then layer on avocado (sliced or mashed) and dot it with fiery Sriracha. This simple combination makes the perfect base to carry other ingredients as well. Top it off with anything in the fridge, from bacon slices or corn to salsa.Thinkstock/Huy Fong Foods, Inc.
2. Watermelon + Feta + AvocadoIf you're a fan of Mediterranean flavours, then you know that sweet watermelon and salty feta make happy bedfellows. To really up the ante, especially if serving this to kids, thread individual cubes of each ingredient on toothpicks. The colours are as vibrant as the freshness of their flavour harmony.Thinkstock
3. Bacon + Egg + AvocadoTrust us, this holy trinity of ingredients is one that no one can refuse. Break an egg into the hollow of each avocado half and bake in a 425°F oven until the egg is set, around 15 to 20 minutes. While the eggs are baking, fry the bacon until nice and crisp. Then crumble over the baked eggs and serve with toast. Yum!Thinkstock
4. Avocado + Banana + MilkCreamy, sweet, satisfying — this smoothie hits all the right notes, especially if you're waking your palate up for breakfast. Switch out the milk (nut, dairy or rice will work) depending on your dietary preferences. We like to add a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon for an extra zing of warmth and flavour.Thinkstock
5. Avocado + Lime Juice + MangoIt's getting tropical in here. This shortcut salsa is a quick assembly job of chopped avocado, mango and a generous squeeze of lime juice. You can throw in some red onion or fresh cilantro for extra oomph, but we're content scooping it up in its stripped-down glory with some warm tortilla chips.Thinkstock
6. Brie + Avocado + BreadInstantly kick your stove-top snack up a notch by introducing luscious avocado into the mix. Brie melts beautifully and is mild enough to let the avocado's flavour shine. The result? A gooey interior, that's mandatory when crafting a grilled cheese. Add another level of taste by choosing a dark pumpernickel or garlic-infused bread.Thinkstock
7. Chickpeas + Curry Powder + AvocadoLooking to power up with protein? Then this one is for you. Mash together a can of chickpeas and an avocado with a teaspoon of curry powder. Add salt and pepper to taste (maybe a squirt of lemon juice) and voila, you have a quick salad that can be enjoyed as-is or with some crackers on the side.Thinkstock
8. Chili + Lime + AvocadoFire up the grill, it's al fresco cooking season. Grill avocado halves cut-side down until lightly charred and softened. To serve, place avocados flesh-side up on a platter, sprinkle with lime juice and garnish with chili flakes. Then pass around spoons so diners can scoop the tangy, warm flesh straight from its skin that doubles as a cute bowl.Thinkstock
9. Cocoa + Coconut Milk + AvocadoBreak out the blender or food processor for this vegan delight that comes together in minutes. Budget for a quarter cup of unsweetened cocoa powder for every large avocado used. Blitz together, adding a little coconut milk at a time, to get a creamy pudding-like consistency. Squeeze in some agave syrup or honey for sweetness.Thinkstock
10. Hummus + Avocado + CrackersPretty little nibbles always make a great snack. If you have flavoured crackers or a spiced hummus, you're halfway to Yum Town. Smear a lavish portion of hummus on each cracker, top with a triangle of ripe avocado and you're in business. These are also perfect for Ladies' Night or when the kids have friends over.Thinkstock
11. Coffee + Condensed Milk + AvocadoSnack or dessert? We'll happily allow this unusual combination into both categories. Known as Es Alpukat in Indonesia, this merry medley begins with the strongest coffee you can brew before it gets blended with ripe avocado, condensed milk and ice cubes. We won't blame you if you don't feel like sharing. Thinkstock
12. Lemon + Avocado + ProscuittoUnscheduled guests dropping by? No problem, the avocado is here to save the day (or night!). Cut thick slices lengthwise and wrap a sliver of prosciutto around each. Squeeze over some lemon juice and serve immediately, preferably with a strong citrus-based cocktail or a chilled glass of white wine on the side. Cin cin.Thinkstock
13. Smoked Salmon + Avocado + RiceWe're taking for granted that you have some leftover rice sitting in the fridge. Toss it with a bit of soy and sesame oil to taste, and you have a wonderful base for your very own homemade Asian rice bowl. Layer on chunks of avocado and slices of salmon for a quick post-gym snack that's easy on the eyes and the taste buds.Thinkstock
14. Mayo + Tuna + AvocadoYou know those flavoured tuna cans in the grocery store? Buy a couple of them. When you're in a pinch for a quick snack, mix one can of tuna (we like the lemon-pepper or basil-tomato versions) with mayonnaise and pile it into an avocado half — how's that for quick, tasty and satisfying? Psssst, bacon mayonnaise is our secret ingredient.Thinkstock
15. Sesame + Soy + AvocadoWe're taking inspiration from Canadian celeb chef Laura Calder here. We love this combination because it has the perfect balance of umami, sweetness and crunch. Chop up thick chunks of avocado and place on a plate (use lemon juice to prevent it from browning). Drizzle over soy sauce and top with toasted sesame seeds. Done.Thinkstock