1. If you’re not a fan of Andy Samberg‘s humour then this year’s Emmys probably wasn’t the show for you. But if you are, then you loved every Samberg-filled second of it. Aside from the hilarious host, however, there were some other things to take notice of like, you know, THE AWARDS.
2. Oh, look: Everybody’s favourite ’90s child actresses—Mayim Bialik, Anna Chlumsky and Gaby Hoffman—are all grown up and nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. Alas, they all went home empty-handed, but congratulations to Allison Janney, whose win (her seventh!) ties her with Ed Asner for the all-time Emmy record.
3. Ricky Gervais proved once again that he can do no wrong, first as a presenter, then as a nominee. When’s he doing ANYTHING next? ‘Cause we’re in.
4. Which was better: Bradley Whitford‘s hat…
— Brice Sander (@bricesander) September 21, 2015
… or Jill Soloway‘s shoes?
5. Speaking of Soloway, she and Jeffrey Tambor proudly represented Transparent and put the spotlight on the transgender community in their acceptance speeches. We heard them loud and clear.
6. This year marked another groundbreaking moment: The first-ever standing ovation for…the accountants! Thank you, James Corden!
— Her Campus Fairfield (@HCFairfieldU) September 21, 2015
7. Did Terrence Howard really have to call out Taraji P. Henson for mispronouncing “musician”? It’s not like she mentioned his wacky math skills (but we will).
9. In her next life, Frances McDormand should be a speechwriter. The Olive Kitteridge winner is nothing if not succinct: “Hi. My colleagues, Jane and Lisa have already given the thank yous that need to be said. We’re all here because of the power of a story well told. Sometimes that’s enough. Thank you.” Perfect.
Frances McDormand is one Spoken Word album away from EGOT. — Jarett Wieselman (@JarettSays) September 21, 2015
10. The “hidden camera” on the red-carpet-after-the-red-carpet busting Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany (channelling Helena) and Veep‘s Tony Hale fighting over a can of beans. Our favourite sketch of the night.
11. When Richard Jenkins adorably couldn’t get over the fact that Lady Gaga presented him with his award.
12. Holy shiitake mushrooms, a lot of shows ended this year: The Late Show, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Glee, The Newsroom, True Blood, Parenthood, Boardwalk Empire, Justified, Nurse Jackie, Sons of Anarchy, Parks and Recreation, Mad Men, Two and a Half Men, Cougar Town, The Mentalist and Hot in Cleveland. The Academy sent the lot of them off with a lovely montage (and by “lovely” we mean full of spoilers).
13. What’s an awards show without a good bleeper blooper? When Game of Thrones writer D.B. Weiss swore during his acceptance speech, the censors bleeped out the “full of” and left in the “sh*t.” Oops.
14. Nothing could take Sofia Vergara‘s attention from her popcorn. Nothing.
15. Orange is the New Black‘s Uzo Aduba went and won (again) and made us cry big, fat, happy tears (again). The stuff about her sister? We can’t even.
16. Jon Hamm won! Jon Hamm won! Jon Hamm won!
More great moments from the 2015 Emmy Awards: