Today marks 32 years since The Golden Girls–Blanche (Rue McClanahan), Rose (Betty White), Dorothy (Bea Arthur) and Sophia (Estelle Getty)–made their debut on our TV screens. Groundbreaking at the time, with a cast of four 0ver-50 female leads, the show is just as relevant, if not more so than ever, today.
Older, wiser and raunchier than most of us, the girls have always had a lot to teach us about life and love. And it only makes sense that we should all heed their words of wisdom when it comes to going all the way. Thank you, ladies, for being more than just our friends but for being our advisers on all things sexy.
1. Upon meeting someone with whom you are interested in making whoopie, there’s never any harm with being blunt and getting straight to the point.
2. Shake ’em if you got ’em. That will almost always get their attention.
3. If you’re not in the mood and the old “I have a headache” routine doesn’t work, you can always pretend to pass out.
4. Keep yourself in tip-top shape. You never know when your motor needs to be running.
5. Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures and sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to land that special someone.
6. But, hey, it’s also fun to be chased.
7. He may be tall, dark and handsome and make love like a Greek god, but if he’s a jerk, don’t waste your time. He’s not worth it.
8. Some occasions call for demure and sexy. Other times call for getting nasty. Only you know which side to bust out.
9. You don’t always need a partner to feel…fulfilled — but it’s certainly more fun.
10. A confident person keeps an open mind and is willing to try new things. Don’t be scared of the unknown.
11. Never, ever, ever be this gal (though, presumably, someone has to):
12. Or this person:
13. Always use protection. Duh.
14. Never kiss and tell (unless you are with your closest, most trusted confidantes).
15. Some love-making sessions call for a 9 ½ Weeks reenactment. But don’t take it too far. Otherwise it’s just gross.
16. Choose your partners wisely. If not, you might wind up with someone completely repugnant.
17. More times than not, being able to move your body vertically is an indicator of how you move horizontally. So bone up on your dance moves.
18. Don’t be afraid to get down and dirty.
19. Don’t have sex on the first date. Let him (or her) wait a while. Or a little bit longer.
20. Sometimes a girls’ night in is just what the love doctor ordered.