It’s no secret that pregnancy does a number on a woman’s body. Between the hormones, the physical changes, the mental load of gearing up to have a child and the fact that there’s a tiny little human being growing inside that streeeeettttched out uterus, pregnant women have a lot to deal with.
They also have very real and very strange food cravings. Probably to deal with all of that other weird stuff happening to their bodies.
Sure, pickles and ice cream have been many a pregnant gal’s staple go-tos when the eating urge hits (just ask anyone in Hollywood), but that’s just the beginning of the weird food combos we’ve seen and heard about. To delve deeper into the subject, we asked 22 women what the weirdest thing they wanted to nosh on during pregnancy was. The results? Well let’s just say we hope you haven’t had your lunch yet, because these vary from unusual and weird to just plain old gross. (Bananas and hollandaise sauce, anyone?)
1. “What caused me to buy a pregnancy test was my uncontrollable urge to eat chocolate chip cookies with garlic spread…” – Elisha B.
2. “Dr Pepper, which I hate usually, and peanut butter on my hamburgers with pickles and mayo.” – Monica S.
3. “I loved eating pickles with plain ruffles chips.” – Marge S.
4. “Not really weird, but I wanted radishes and cucumbers at first. Then anything chocolate. Oh and chocolate ice cream with nachos.” – Rissa L.
5. “Pizza pops with sour cream, and potato wedges with cream cheese (to be fair I stumbled on this one).” – Stephy S.
6. “My first pregnancy was canned peaches and sour gummy candies. This pregnancy is fountain pop and golden delicious apples.” – Laura R.
7. “Sour green apple slushies and root beer ice (3/4 cup with ice and the rest root beer). With my first I craved Cheez Whiz and I hate Cheez Whiz.” – Kailum M.
8. “Not weird for most people but for me super weird: ice water. I typically can’t handle ice water, I always drink room temperature water. Another was super garlic pickles with raisins.” – Kyla S.
9. “Pickles cut in half with a slice of cheese and tzatziki sauce on top… and subway sandwiches with chips inside the sandwich.” – Tatyanna S.
10. “I would buy one large watermelon a day and eat it all and drink so much chocolate milk and I hate milk!” – Courtney G.
11. “My first, I craved cheese puff cheesies, and my second in the third trimester it was croutons dipped in Frank’s hot sauce. I was sick for both entire pregnancies so I could never eat normal food at normal times (all I wanted was oranges and salad and I could not for the life of me keep it down). I have not had both of those things since I was pregnant because they’re so gross!” – Jackie W.
12. “I didn’t have a combo but I was obsessed with lemons. I would eat them with everything or peel them and just eat them plain.” – Rachelle R.
13. “I used to buy a six-pack of donuts from Tim Horton’s every day after work and eat them on the drive home.” – Jillian E.
14. “Mine was the brine from anything pickled. Especially spicy olives and garlicky dill pickles. – Nicole E.
15. “Asian pears from Costco and Parmesan cheese (on the side). I’d take a potato peeler to carve the slices of Parmesan so the thickness was acceptable to my pear-slice ratio.” – Andrea L.
16. “I never actually ate it (because no one would let me) but I craved deep-fried-zucchini poutine. I don’t even know if it’s an actual thing but the idea of deep fried zucchini covered in cheese curds and gravy just made my mouth water.” – Tiffany M.
17. “My first pregnancy I craved fruit loops and canned peaches, like all day every day (and gained 60 pounds). This time around I craved Extreme Beans!” – Sarah S.
18. “Bananas dipped in hollandaise sauce. I can’t even stomach the thought of it now.” – Jessica C.
19. “The only thing I craved that was weird was grilled cheese and maple syrup. This pregnancy it’s chocolate and spicy chicken burgers.” – Crys W.
20. “I haven’t craved any weird combos, but with my son I craved Rocket popsicles. I had several a day! This time I can’t get enough green beans and apple sauce.” – Leanne S.
21. “Barbecue chips and marshmallows this pregnancy.” – Cecilia C.
22. “Apple juice with cheese popcorn. It makes me want to puke thinking about it now!” – Samantha G.