Confused about all the grunting and groaning? Still can’t pronounce Milos Raonic’s name?
We’ve got you covered.
Wimbledon can be a confusing place, especially if you’ve never played a round of tennis before. Luckily for you, we’ve compiled a list of interesting facts about both the tournament and the two Canadian players who just made history by making it all the way to the semi-finals (and beyond). Even if the sport isn’t your thing, you can still sound like a pro.
- “Grand slam” tournaments, like Wimbledon, are the “big deal” tournaments, otherwise consisting of the Australian Open, the U.S. Open and the French Open. They award the most prize money, ranking points and media attention.
- While there aren’t any hockey sticks in tennis (unfortunately), there are balls. A lot of ’em. Up to 40,000 will be used in the tournament. Each one will be hand-tested for weight, bounce and density.
- Crowds, in the meantime, will be stuffing their faces with more than 60,000 pounds of strawberries along with 7,000 litres of cream. Guess we’ll be seeing a lot more of them on the tennis courts after that.
- Apparently, Adolf Hitler wasn’t a fan of tennis. The Nazis bombed Wimbledon during WWII (Don’t worry, nobody was in the stadium).
- That said, did we mention tennis can be dangerous?
- Like…really dangerous?
- Speaking of dangerous, the tournament’s longest match on record between American John Isner and Frenchmen Nicolas Mahut in 2010 would’ve put you in an early grave. It lasted 11 hours, 5 minutes.
- The Royal Family is also breaking tradition this year. They’ve actually been — wait for it — showing emotion. Long gone are the stone-faced expressions throughout. Just check out Kate:
- Oh, and by the way, everyone must wear white. It’s an actual rule. In fact, it got more strict this year
once the fashion police showed upafter players like Serena Williams started sporting cream-coloured uniforms with red trim. The nerve!
- But hey, at least if you get bored, you can watch the players rage out.
- First of all, it’s pronounced Mee-low-sh Row-nich. Spread the word.
- Even though he’s good buddies with Wayne Gretzky, he doesn’t really like hockey.
- He is pretty funny though:
@Danielle_TW_Dee all of them
— Milos Raonic (@milosraonic) December 2, 2012
- The Quebec native has her own fan club called the “Genie Army.”
- She’s friends with Big Bang Star Jim Parsons.
- And on multiple occasions, her athletic accomplishments have been overshadowed by stupid reporter questions.
- Back when it was still cool, she even made her very own “Gangnam Style” remix:
- As for her celebrity crush? Justin Bieber.
— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) July 3, 2014
Now go watch some tennis!