Gold Star Surf and Turf Burger
Planning a summer blowout party? You might as well close out summer in style! If you don’t like lobster feel free to swap out for seared Foie Gras, Jumbo Shrimp and or Caviar! Have fun with this one!
Makes 2 x Burgers
WHAT YOU NEED:
- ½ lb (225 g) ground chuck beef (80 lean/20 fat)
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to season
- 1 live lobster (1.5 lb / 680 g), cooked and meat removed
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 8 sesame seed burger buns
- 2 x large gold leaf 6 x 6 inch sheets
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) green relish
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Thousand Island dressing
- ½ cup (125 ml) Iceberg lettuce, finely chopped
- 2 thin slices aged cheddar cheese
- 1 kosher pickle, cut into slices
WHAT YOU DO:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the beef, salt and pepper. Using your hands, form 4 equal sized hamburger patties, about ¼-inch (6 mm) thick and press down in the middle of them with your thumbs to create a small indent in each beef patty. Set aside at room temperature.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for approximately 2-3 minutes or until soft and translucent. Place each burger patty into the skillet, and cook for approximately 1-2 minutes per side or until cooked through. Transfer the burgers onto a plate, and set aside at room temperature.
- Clean the nonstick skillet, and heat it over medium-high heat. Toast each bun, bottom and top, for approximately 15-30 seconds or until slightly toasted. When cool to touch carefully using the gold leaf cover the top of 2 burger buns completely wrapping the entire top portion of the bun.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the relish and Thousand Island dressing. Set aside at room temperature.
- On a clean work surface, lay out 2 burger bun bottoms, spoon the dressing sauce on the bottom of the bun. Top it with a small spoon of cooked onions, some lettuce, a cheese slice, and then 2-3 slices of pickle. Top with 1 burger patty and a quarter of the lobster meat. Place the other bottom bun on top of the lobster meat and repeat the previous steps, and then close the burger with the top bun. Repeat with the next burger until all burgers are made.
- Serve with some crispy French fries, a large bib and bottle of bubbly!