There were some raised eyebrows when it was announced that Andy Samberg would host this year’s Emmys — after all, his strongest Saturday Night Live skits all involved music, right?
Turns out that’s all Samberg needed in order to pull off a pretty impressive night at the Emmy podium. After opening with a star-studded musical montage (in which he shut himself in a bunker so that he could watch a year’s worth of television and catch up for the “gig”), the Brooklyn Nine-Nine star still managed to make us laugh with some zippy one-liners, too.
Of course, it helped that Samberg was joined by the likes of Kerry Washington, Jon Hamm, and Nathan Fillion. (Those guest appearances almost — almost — made us forget about the everybody gets an Emmy PSA halfway through the show.) But we digress… Here are just some of Samberg’s best one-liners, ranked in order of sheer hilariousness.
15. “Sure, Donald Trump seems racist… What else?”
Isn’t making fun of Trump swell?
14. “The original cast of Taxi is here. That’s right, Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon are both here.”
Don’t quit your
day night job, Jimmy.
13. “Uzo Aduba is the new Ed Asner.”
Nailed it: Aduba’s win made her the first actress to nab both a comedy and a drama Emmy for the same role, just like, you guessed it, Ed Asner.
12. “Our next presenter has two things in common with LL Bean… LL Cool J!”
You know who likes puns? LL Cool J.
11. “Oh, hey there. You caught me having a little fun with the set.” [Pans to Andy getting cozy with a giant Emmy] “Here’s my impression of the last season of Girls.” [Andy goes “muff” diving.”]
Congrats on the wedding, Allison Williams!
10. “Suck it, books*.”
*All books except Olive Kitteridge.
9. “I have to admit I haven’t seen Olive Kitteridge, I’ve only seen half of Kitteridge.”
Keep those puns coming, Samberg.
8. “Justin Timberlake is not coming. Now that we’ve put that to bed, let’s get on with the show.”
7. “Robert Blake and Bill Cosby—oh no, I gotta get out of here.”
It ain’t easy to get a laugh out of a joke about terrible people doing terrible things, and Samberg nailed it.
6. “Racism is over. Don’t fact check that.”
Like TV ever does—or has to, for that matter.
5. “Paula Deen is on this season of Dancing With the Stars. But I gotta say, if I wanted to see an intolerant person dance I would have gone to one of Kim Davis’s four weddings.”
Clearly, politics was an agenda Sunday night.
4. If Better Call Saul is any indication, I’m sure Jon will be nominated for the upcoming Mad Men prequel, Dick Whitman, Horny Hobo.”
You realize women are already lining up to be cast in that, right?
3. “She’s the star of How to Get Away With Murder, Viola Davis, and he’s the star of how not to, Robert Durst. Just kidding. Here’s Viola Davis.”
2. “Happy birthday, George [R.R. Martin]. And thanks for telling me during the commercials that Jon Snow is alive.”
1. “I gotta say, Schumer is really, really funny. You know, for a person.”
[Insert a million angry emoticons here as Schumer didn’t win Lead Actress.] Lucky for the Academy Julia Louis-Dreyfus is kind of awesome, too.