The awards happen every year, and this year over 200 readers tested 800 beauty products. These products arrive at their homes with the packaging completely concealed, so they have no idea which brands they’re testing and they can’t be influenced by brand name or packaging design.
ELLE Canada’s Health and Beauty editor, Katherine Flemming, reveals this year’s big winners.
MASCARA WINNER: Marcelle Volum‘Xtension Magnetic Mascara, $13
- WHY IT WON: This mascara has a flexible brush and formula which hugs, plumps and stretches lashes so you get a glossy finish that doesn’t flake. Plus, this one is a repeat winner—it won in 2016, too—so you know it’s good.
- APPLICATION TIP: When it comes to choosing mascara, everyone has totally different lash needs. Pick one quality you desire most, like volume, and look for that to be listed first on the description of the mascara.
CONCEALER WINNER: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, $37
- WHY IT WON: This is a beauty editor favourite because it comes in 16 shades and is super creamy. It’s gentle around the delicate eye area and it lasts all day. Yes, please!
- APPLICATION TIP: Try to only focus on your dark areas only; concentrate the colour there and then pat it down, don’t rub it in.
LIQUID LIPSTICK WINNER: Chanel Rouge Allure Ink, $43
- WHY IT WON: Liquid lipstick has many pros including comfort, longevity, and major colour payoff. This one can be applied like a gloss, so you have some freedom with application. It has a lightweight, velvet-y dry down and feels really comfortable on your lips.
- APPLICATION TIP: Liquid lipsticks can sometimes be quite drying. Apply a thick layer of moisturizing lip balm to lips right after you wash your face and let it sink in while you’re getting ready. By the time you’re ready to do your makeup, your lipstick should go on nice and smooth.
BROW LINER WINNER: Lise Watier Cosmétiques Double Definition Automatic Brow Liner, $22
- WHY IT WON: This liner comes in four shades, rolls up automatically and has an oval tip, which allows for really natural hair strokes.
- APPLICATION TIP: Brush up your brows, apply really thin strokes to the sparse bits, then brush them back into place. You can seal them in place with a brow gel or clear mascara.
MAKE-UP REMOVER: Bioderma Sensibio H20 Makeup Removing Micelle Solution, $24
- WHY IT WON: This solution is gentle enough to cleanse, doesn’t strip skin, rebalances moisture and refreshes skin.
- APPLICATION: Pair this with a plush cotton pad every night. You can also use it first thing in the morning if you still feel like you have a bit of residual makeup on.
CREAM MASK WINNER: Zorah biocosmétiques High Efficiency Cream Mask, $60
- WHY IT WON: This mask really does it all—and it’s from a Canadian brand! You don’t need to layer it with several other masks. It cleanses pores on a deep level, reduces redness, softens wrinkles, hydrates skin, and give skin a nice bounce.
- APPLICATION TIP: If you have oily skin, apply a thinner layer than if you have dry skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and remove with a damp cloth.
DRY SHAMPOO WINNER: amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo, $29
- WHY IT WON: Not only is the packaging undeniably cute, the product is great because it uses rice starch instead of chalky talc that can leave a white trail of sadness on your hair. It also contains sea buckthorn, which is an antioxidant that softens hair.
- APPLICATION TIP: It’s easy to get carried away with dry shampoo; but remember, it doesn’t take the place of proper shampoo. Instead of thinking about it as just a hair refresher, know that dry shampoo gives great volume, too. Use it after a blow dry if your hair needs a little extra lift or body.
BODY SCRUB WINNER: Dans un Jardin Mirabelle Sugar Scrub, $20
- WHY IT WON: For the second year in a row, this scrub took home the prize because it hydrates skin with beeswax, which creates a nice barrier for skin against the changing temperatures.
- APPLICATION TIP: For an extra boost, make sure you’re massaging it into skin in circular motions and move toward your heart to boost circulation.
You can find the total list of the Beauty Grand Prix winners on the ELLE Canada website. beautystyle