This twist on traditional hummus is a great make-ahead lunch for active kids.
Makes 3 cups
Total time: 25 minutes
Tip: Save 20 minutes by purchasing pre-cooked beets!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 or 3 medium beets
- 1 can (15 oz/425 g)chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 4 tsp (20 ml) tahini
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
WHAT YOU DO:
- You can either roast the beets by wrapping them in foil and placing them in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or boil for about 20 minutes. Either way, the beets are cooked when a fork slides easily into the center. Rinse them under cool water until you can handle them. Slip off the skins, trim the ends and roughly chop the beets.
- In a food processor or blender, process all the ingredients together for at least 2 minutes, or until the hummus is very creamy. You’ll need to stop once or twice to scrape down the sides of the blender and stir the ingredients to make sure they all get combined well. Taste and adjust seasoning. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Recipe excerpted from The School Year Survival Cookbook.