BEETROOT, BLOOD ORANGE & POMEGRANATE SALMON GRAVLAX
Makes 12 slices
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 300g salmon side fillet
- 2 tablespoons gin
- 100g raw beetroot, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 small blood orange
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate
- 30g white granulated sugar
- 20g sea salt
WHAT YOU DO:
- Place the salmon in a dish that’s deep enough for it to be submerged in the cure, I find a roasting or pie dish is perfect. Place the grated beetroot, dill, sugar, salt, gin and the zest of juice of a blood orange in a bowl and mix well. Spoon over the salmon and so that the salmon is submerged in the cure. Place two sheets of cling film loosely over the salmon, and a heavy weight on top, I always use cans of tomatoes or similar. Place in the fridge, and leave for two days.
- Once the salmon has cured for two days, remove from the fridge. Scrape off all the cure mixture and pat dry underneath the salmon with some kitchen paper. Thinly slice the salmon away from the skin underneath and sprinkle the pomegranate seeds on top.