Black Bottom Sweet Potato Pie
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the crust
- 1 ½ cups of chocolate baking crumbs
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 tbsp salted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- ¼ stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ cup half and half cream
- ¼ cup condensed milk
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
For the meringue:
- 3 medium eggs (egg whites only)
- ¼ cup white sugar
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Roast 3 large sweet potatoes at 450F until a knife comes out clean. Peel, mash, and measure 3 cups, the rest is extra you can freeze. Let the oven cool to 350F.
- Using a food processor, blitz the chocolate crumbs, add the salted butter and the 2 tbsp of brown sugar. Blitz until combined.
- Line the metal tart tin with a removable bottom.
- Bake until set (approximately 5 minutes.)
- Mix the sweet potatoes with the unsalted butter, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, half and half, condensed milk, cinnamon and ground nutmeg.
- Fill the tart tin to the top leaving 3mm-4mm for the mixture to expand- it will settle again when it cools.
- Bake until set and a knife comes out clean (approximately 50 minutes.)
- For the meringue, set the oven to 400F. In a standing mixer, using the whisk attachment beat the egg whites with the sugar on medium speed until they become thick stiff peaks. Coat the top of the pie, leaving ripples and peaks. Let brown in a 400F oven (approximately 2 minutes.)