Black Candy Apples
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon black food paste
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light (white) corn syrup
- 10 granny smith apples
- 10 Wooden dowels, or sticks that have been cleaned
*You will need a candy thermometer for this
WHAT YOU DO:
- Add apples to a large pot and pour boiling water over. Let sit for a minute, drain, wash off wax and dry thoroughly. Remove stems and insert dowels into the centre where the stems were.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with non stick cooking spray. Have this handy next to your stove top for placing apples once dipped.
- Add sugar, water, corn syrup, and food paste to a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Bring the temperature to the hard crack stage – 300° F, this will take about 15 minutes. Immediately remove from heat.
- Dip each prepared apple into candy syrup and place on prepared baking sheet and let cool.