Broccoli and Cheese Patties
Makes 6 patties
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Tip: Save 5 minutes by prepping your veggies ahead.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (1 L) finely chopped broccoli florets
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften. Add the broccoli and give everything a stir. Cook until the broccoli just begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the panko, cheddar and Parmesan. Add the broccoli mixture and stir to combine thoroughly. Use your hands to form six patties. Don’t worry about making them perfectly round, but do try to make them even in thickness. Arrange the patties on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the patties, then bake for another 10 minutes. Allow the patties to cool on the baking sheet and then store in an airtight container. They’ll keep for 3 or 4 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
Recipe excerpted from The School Year Survival Cookbook.