Broccoli-Chicken Cheddar Curry Casserole
Serves 6 – 8
Prep Time: 2 hours
What you need:
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (230 g) cream cheese
- 2 cups (230 g) grated orange Cheddar cheese
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups (630 g) frozen hash browns
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, quartered
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large castiron pan set over mediumhigh heat, pour just enough oil to cover the bottom. Sear the chicken on all sides until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan. Cook the onion until lightly brown. Then add the garlic, ginger, and butter. Let the butter froth and melt. Add the curry powder and stir for 2 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to mediumlow and add the cream, cream cheese, and half the Cheddar cheese; stir until fully melted. You’ll see the mixture turn into a beautiful yellowy orange color.
- Add the chicken, broccoli, and hash browns to the mixture; stir to combine. Pour into a glass baking dish. No need to use cooking spray—it’s gonna be a mess. Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole and bake until bubbling and the cheese has browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let the casserole rest 15 minutes—it’s gonna be really hot. There’s no right way to serve this.
- Plate, bowl, hell—serve it out of a boot. Scoop it out, sprinkle some green onions and cilantro on top, give it a squeeze of lime, and enjoy the one dish that still boggles my mind but is so good.
Recipe excerpted from ‘Matty Matheson A Cookbook’