Butternut Squash-Kale and Sausage Pasta
Makes 4-6 portions
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 500g rigatoni
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 links of Italian sausage, removed from it’s casing
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, stems removed and leaves shredded
- ½ lemon zested
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
WHAT YOU DO:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. On a parchment lined baking sheet place the butternut squash, drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the cubes are fork tender. Remove from the oven and reserve.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and add in the pasta. Cook according to the instructions on the package. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water. Strain the pasta and reserve.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat add in the olive oil and the sausage meat. Cook until browned, add in garlic and kale and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the kale is cooked down.
- Add the pasta to the skillet, the roasted butternut squash, the lemon zest, the cooking water, parmigiano reggiano and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2- 3 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the cheese has melted.
- Serve with an extra sprinkle of parmigiano reggiano and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.