WHAT YOU NEED:
For the cake:
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/8 cups canola oil
- 480g grated carrots (Use the small side of a box grater & medium sized carrots.)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the icing:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 tsp whole milk
- 2 tsp almond extract
- ½ cup of crème fraiche
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease and flour a round 10.5” cake pan (preferably spring form.)
- In a standing mixer, mix the eggs and sugar with the whisk attachment at medium speed (until pale pastel yellow in color.)
- Add the vanilla, salt and orange zest.
- Slowly pour the vegetable oil into the mixer so that it emulsifies like a mayonnaise.
- Add the carrots and mix until combined.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon, and add to the mixer in 2 portions. Mix only until just fully integrated.
- Fill the pan 70% full and bake for approximately 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan.
- To make the icing, use the standing mixer and whisk attachment on medium-fast speed to beat the butter, icing sugar, maple syrup, milk and almond extract until fluffy. Add the crème fraiche and mix until combined.
- Once the cake is cool, ice it with the icing.