Charred Brussels Sprout Salad
Serves 2 (but double, triple, quadruple the quantities to serve a crowd!)
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 Cups Brussels sprout leaves (picked from about 12 sprouts)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided (good quality a must for high-heat cooking)
- ¼ Cup dried cranberries
- 3 Cups leafy lettuce, torn
- 1 Cup cooked barley (cook according to package directions)
- ¼ Cup Parmesan cheese shavings
For the dressing
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juice freshly squeezed (from above zested lemon)
- 2 tablespoon chives, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon
- 6 turns freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
WHAT YOU DO:
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add 1 tablespoon oil and a couple handfuls of leaves and cook, tossing occasionally, until charred in places and tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Repeat until all leaves are toasted.
- To a large bowl add the charred Brussels sprout leaves, dried cranberries, lettuce, and barley.
- To make the dressing, whisk all ingredients together or shake in a mason jar until combined.
- Right before serving, pour the dressing over the salad ingredients in the bowl and toss to dress. Transfer to a serving platter or bowl (if so doing), garnish with Parmesan shavings, and serve immediately.