This recipe is: egg-free, oat-free, wheat-free & peanut-free
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3 cups corn flour or masa (white or yellow)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water (you may need more)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (like cheddar, mozzarella, queso or other cheese)
WHAT YOU DO:
- In a large bowl, add flour and salt. Add water about 2-3 tbsp at a time. Use your hands to mix into the flour until the dough is soft and squishy.
- Roll 1/6 of the dough into a ball and then flatten it into a patty. Dip your hands in water to keep the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Add about 3 tbsp cheese to the middle of the dough. Fold up the sides of the dough around the cheese to completely cover it. Flatten the ball out again, making sure all the cheese is tucked in.
- Add some olive oil to a frying pan or skillet and turn on medium heat. Once hot, add your pupusa’s.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and dough is cooked through.
- Serve as a toasty warm bread on the side of stews, soups or chili’s, or top with slaw, salsa, beans or anything you like!