It’s finally spring and you know what that means? Cleaning, cleaning and more…cleaning. Although you’d prefer to be outside enjoying this much-anticipated season, you do need to say one final goodbye to winter by sprucing up your home.
If you want to start spring cleaning off the all natural way, might we suggest the great citruses? Oranges, lemons and grapefruits are all non-toxic cleaners and they smell great. So, toss those other cleaners aside and take a look at 16 citrus hacks that’ll get your home looking spectacular in no time.
1. Your whole house can smell like a tropical forest with this trick.
Start off your spring cleaning the right way by filling your house with a wonderful aroma. Drop citrus peels, cinnamon and whole cloves into a pot filled with water. Once it starts simmering , turn the burner all the way down. All right, now you can get to cleaning while breathing in some greatness.
2. Boost the power of your laundry detergent with lemon juice.
You might not realize it, but your clothes carry rust and mineral discolourations (ew). Sometimes your detergent isn’t strong enough to take that gunk out, so add one cup of lemon juice to your washer during the wash cycle. It’ll do the trick.
3. Shine wooden floors and polish furniture using lemon juice and olive oil.
Lemon juice and olive oil make for a good salad dressing, but it turns out it also doubles as homemade furniture polish. To make your own chemical-free polish, combine one cup of olive oil and half a cup of lemon juice. Then, rub a small amount of it into your furniture using a clean cloth.
4. Put lemon/orange rinds into your garbage to mask the stinky smell.
There’s no arguing that your garbage stinks sometimes. Solve that problem instantly by eating an orange and then tossing the orange peels into your garbage can. Now your trash smells all tropical. Yay!
5. Frozen citrus ice cubes will keep your garbage disposal blades sharp.
With just white vinegar, citrus peels and an ice cube tray, you can create these amazing citrus garbage disposal re-fresheners. Once you’ve made them, put a cube down the disposal and run it. Your kitchen will smell fantastic and, apparently, the ice actually helps to sharpen the disposal blade.
6. This DIY fabric softener will make you never want to take off your clothes.
Want your clothes to smell like a citrus farm? Follow these simple steps to make your very own fabric softener. Doing laundry will never be the same again.
7. Ants and spiders don’t mix well with orange peels
Pesky spiders and ants got you down? Get rid of them — once and for all — by dropping citrus peels in the areas they most frequent. They’ll get the hint and scram.
8. Finally a way to get rid of those coffee cup stains!
Drop some lemon peels into a mug that has coffee stains. Next, add some warm water and allow it to sit for a few hours. Once time’s up, empty the cup, give it a good scrub and watch the stains melt away.
9. Elevate your dish soap to a whole new level with lemon/orange oil.
Regular dish soap is oh-so-boring, so take it up a notch by adding 20 drops of lemon or orange essential oil to it. Not only will it make everything smell divine, the oils are also antibacterial. Woohoo.
10. Naturally scented all-purpose citrus vinegar cleaners make cleaning a breeze.
Want a safe non-toxic all-purpose cleaner? Look no further, folks. Follow these DIY instructions and you’ll be spraying in no time.
11. Get rid of odours in your fridge the natural way.
Looking for a natural way to keep your full fridge smelling fresh? Half a lemon will do the trick. Just throw that bad boy into your fridge and it’s good to go.
12. Lemon + water + microwave = the cleanest microwave you’ve ever seen.
Admit it, the inside of your microwave is filthy. So filthy in fact, you’ve resorted to eating cold meals rather than reheat food in that monstrosity. But, don’t worry. We’re sending some lemons to the rescue. Just squeeze half a lemon into a bowl of water, and pop it into the microwave for five to ten minutes on high. Then just wipe it clean!
13. Say bye-bye to mildew using lemon juice and salt.
Mildew is gross so get rid of it ASAP with a lemon juice and salt paste. Just rub it on the affected area and then dry the clothes in sunlight. You have to repeat the process until the stain is gone, but it’s totally worth it.
14. Who needs mothballs when lemons can do the trick?
Mothballs are so old fashioned. Toss them aside and keep moths away with clove-studded ripe lemons. Yeah, they look as cool as they sound.
15. Half a lemon will keep your chrome glowing.
Do your chrome faucets and knobs look a bit tired? Spruce them up in an instant with half a lemon. Just rub it directly on all your chrome until they look good as new. As for that other lemon half? Use it to scrub down your sink, shower and tub. Two for one!
16. All this spring cleaning getting you sweaty? Lemons can get rid of those stains too.
So you’re finally done with your spring cleaning (for now) and you have the sweat stains to prove it. As one final citrus act, get rid of said stains by combining equal parts of lemon juice and water and rubbing it into the affected area to clean the stain.