A sweet treat for your Halloween party.
Cobweb Whoopie Pies
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 container store bought vanilla frosting
- 2-3 drops of orange food colouring
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat your oven to 350°, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add half the dry sifted ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat for 30 seconds. Then add half the buttermilk and continue to beat. Repeat these steps until well combined – you should have a thick sticky batter.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, mound batter onto prepared baking sheets about 3” apart (if you don’t have a cookie scoop, mound two tablespoons of the batter).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine frosting and orange food colouring and mix. You might need more orange food colouring if you want a deeper colour.
- To assemble, spread about 2 tablespoons of coloured frosting onto the flat surface of one of the cookies. Top with another cookie. Repeat until all whoopie pies are complete.
- Place miniature marshmallows into a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 15 second intervals until melted. Using a fork, mix the marshmallows and let sit for a minute to let cool. Using your fingers take a bit of the marshmallow mixture and stretch it over the whoopie pies to create a cobweb.