With Canadian circumcision rates at only 32 per cent in 2013, like Google Chrome, smart phones, and marriage equality, intact is the way of the future.
When I was growing up, American women, in particular, were terrified of the penis with the wrapper. I get it, an uncircumcised penis looks like a Snuffleupagus compared to a circumcised one. When cut, they’re really more like the fancy orange with toothpicks served at a sushi restaurant. There’s no effort involved. It’s all there. Sanitized. Literally.
Largely thanks to the internet, more and more parents are doing their own research and opting out. When I was pregnant, I wrangled with the question to circumcise or not to circumcise. But for me it came down to the extra $500 (I was in the States) and for what? For something that’s not medically necessary and causes my newborn pain. No thanks. I did worry that he might be judged by women down the line. But I’m sure he’ll be thrilled to know his mother is helping his cause by writing about the advantages of the uncircumcised penis. You’re welcome, son.
I was speaking to a young woman I know, who is sexually active, well-versed in the ways of Tinder and dick pics and nude selfies and such. I asked if she was bothered, in any way, if a penis wasn’t circumcised. “Why should I care? I only see it when it’s hard.” Touché my young friend, touché.
So let me break it down for you circumcision snobs.
Pros of the Uncircumcised Penis:
1. More sensitive, there are 10,000, 20,000, or 70,000 nerve endings (depending on the study you’re looking at).
2. Like an expensive pair of sunglasses, it’s kept in its case when not in use (which means it’s kept smooth and has less nicks, like a pair of Prada sunglasses).
3. When it bunches up at the bottom like a sock, it provides a little extra stimulation (don’t mess with mother nature).
4. And like my smart young friend says, “Who cares when it’s hard.”
1. It takes more time to clean. I learned this the hard way (no pun intended) when my son was a baby and he woke up screaming. Turns out we weren’t cleaning the ‘redhead’ properly. All the male nurse did was gently swab it with a wet cotton ball.
2. May not be as aesthetically pleasing, especially if you are used to the look of a circumcised one. But it’s fashion, like high-waisted jeans or MC Hammer pants. Eventually your eye will adjust.
3. I can’t really think of another con, but two just seems lazy so here is number three.
Like a Kinder Surprise, the first time you fool around with a new person, you never know what you are going to get, but eventually if you fall in love (or the sex is good), it won’t matter anyway. Like my grandma told me, “We all look cross eyed up close.”
In the end, you can do what you want. Judge a man by his penis, because, hey, it’s no foreskin off my back.