CRANBERRY UPSIDE DOWN SPICE CAKE
Makes one 9-inch springform pan
WHAT YOU NEED:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 box spiced cake mix, batter prepared according to directions
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with a round of parchment paper and give the paper another spritz of non-stick cooking spray. Wrap the outside of the pan with a piece of aluminum foil in order to catch any leaks through the seam.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and evenly scatter it over the bottom of the prepared pan. Place the cranberries into the pan and spread them out into an even layer. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions then gently pour it over the cranberries. Spread the batter into an even layer, place the pan onto a rimmed baking sheet, and bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 20 minutes then run a knife around the sides of the springform, release and remove the sides, and turn the cake onto a wire rack. Carefully remove the base of the pan and pull off the parchment paper and allow the cake to cool completely.