Biting into a fresh, warm grilled cheese sandwich is the equivalent of a life-affirming hug on a crappy day. It brings you back to your childhood and is quick, easy and cheap to make.
Unfortunately, your standard G.C. is also pretty terrible for your waistline, thanks to all of that white bread and cheese. Until now, that is.
Meet “The Yes Chef” Tess Ward, an author and chef, who began sharing and developing healthy recipes after developing digestive issues two years ago. Today, she offers cooking classes and boasts an Instagram account with almost 20,000 followers. She’s also authored The Naked Diet (Quadrille Publishing Ltd., 2015), her first cookbook.
Ward has developed a healthier grilled cheese alternative (one that is carb- and gluten-free), that looks just like the real thing. It also packs a good dose of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6 and dietary fibre. How? Through the use of something called cauliflower bread.
The veggie bread has been making headlines recently as a great bookend for grilled cheese, a pizza crust alternative, breadsticks and more. The best part is that it’s actually way simpler to make than it sounds.
It might seem wrong, but it is oh so right… This carb free cauliflower cheese toastie is what’s going down for breakfast in #theyeschef kitchen – goodbye hangover, hello melty cheese deliciousness. The recipe is on tessward.com – Give me a double tap if you want me to make you one too… #brunch #weekend #healthy #yummy #delicious #breakfast #lunch #carbfree
Carb-free double-cheese toastie
What you need
For the cauliflower “bread”
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 25 g grated parmesan
- 25g grated comte, appenzeller or mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
For the grilled cheese
- 1 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 85 g melty cheese. I used a mix of comte and mature cheddar
- 1 large pickled gherkin, or jalapeno, finely sliced (optional)
What you do
For the carb-free bread
- Preheat oven to 220°C/ 450°F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets until they are a fine crumb.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a low-medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice (about 3 cups) and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring continually or until soft. You want the water to evaporate as much as possible from the cauliflower without developing colour. The cauliflower rice needs to be almost completely dry, otherwise you’ll end up with mushy dough.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, parmesan, comte, salt and mix well, then spread the mixture onto the lined baking sheet and shape into 4 bread squares.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes, then gently peel them off the parchment paper.
For the grilled cheese
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of cauliflower crust bread and place the buttered side down in the pan.
- Cover the bread liberally with your chosen cheese, plus gherkin or jalapeno (if using) and top with the remaining slice of cauliflower crust bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes, then gently flip and cook until golden brown on the other side for the same time. Serve with spicy hot sauce, maybe a salad (then we are really being healthy) and your condiments of choice.
Ooh, ooh, wait! If you liked this recipe, you gotta watch this!