This Indianized bulgur salad is another eat cheap recipe that you can make ahead and enjoy all week long. Bulgur is full of protein and makes it a great alternative to traditional rice. Plus, it comes parboiled so while it’s steeping you can get everything else ready for a lickity split meal.
What you need
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cups boiling broth
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What you do
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bulgur and cumin seed.
- Pour the boiling broth over top bulgar and cumin. Cover it and let steam/steep for 30 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the excess liquid.
- Mix in the vegetables, onion, cranberries and feta.
- To make the dressing, combine the oil, lemon juice, salt and garam masala in a separate bowl. Feel free to add in as much reserved broth as you want, or leave it out. Adjust according to your taste buds.
- Pour dressing over bulgur salad and toss well. Then dig in and enjoy!
If you love this meal idea as much as we do, you’ll love all the others over at Pretty Frugal Living.