An ice cream drumstick is hands-down one of summer’s most iconic treats. But just because it’s not quite the season yet, doesn’t mean you can’t indulge in the creamy goodness of one. For those who just can’t stand to wait (or head out to the convenience store), here’s how you can make your very own ice cream creation – customized to your tastes – right at home.
What you need
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 waffle cones
- vanilla ice cream (or flavour of your choice)
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- additional toppings of your choice
What you do
- Using a double-boiler, melt the chocolate over medium heat, stirring frequently. Once melted, remove from heat, and stir the oil into the chocolate.
- Grab a waffle cone and drizzle 2 teaspoons of melted chocolate into the bottom of each. Hold the cone upright by placing it in a glass or mason jar. Put the cones into the freezer for a few minutes and let the chocolate harden.
- Let the ice cream warm up slightly so it softens into a scoopable consistency. Then, fill the body of each cone with ice cream, using an offset spatula to press it in. Next, top each cone off with a round scoop of ice cream. Then place cones back in cups/jars, and place in the freezer. Let cones harden for a least an hour, or overnight if possible.
- Heat up the chocolate once more in a double-boiler. Once melted, remove the ice cream cones from the freezer and drizzle the chocolate on top of each, smoothing it over the scoop of ice cream using a pastry brush or spoon. Immediately sprinkle the chopped peanuts (or toppings of your choice) on top. Continue until all cones are covered, then place once more in the freezer for at least 20 minutes to harden.
- Keep the cones in the freezer until ready to serve, then enjoy!