For the crust:
- 2 ounces slivered almonds, toasted*
- 16 gingersnap cookies
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) unsalted almond butter
- 4 cups (950 mL) low-fat vanilla ice cream, slightly softened, divided
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) unsalted almond butter
- 2 tablespoons chocolate or caramel syrup
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
For the filling:
Optional: Ground nutmeg
- Place toasted almonds and cookies in a sandwich baggie and crush to fine crumble. Pour into a medium bowl with almond butter and stir until well combined. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Carefully spoon three cups of ice cream on top.
- In the bowl the cookie mixture was mixed in, combine remaining one cup (240 mL) of ice cream with almond butter and stir until just combined. Do not over stir or you will lose volume. Spoon evenly over pie. Top with chopped, toasted almonds for decoration, if desired. Cover and freeze four hours or until very firm.
- At time of serving, drizzle syrup over ice cream and top each slice with banana slices. Sprinkle with nutmeg, if using.
- Makes one 9-inch pie, serves eight.
* Note: To toast almonds, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add almonds and cook two minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside on separate plate.
Recipe courtesy Almond Board of California