Life Food
  • Facebook
    Facebook
  • Twitter
    Twitter
  • Pinterest
    Pinterest
  • +
  • Linkedin
    Linkedin
  • WhatsApp
    WhatsApp
  • Email
    Email
SHARE THIS
  • Facebook
    Facebook
  • Twitter
    Twitter
  • Pinterest
    Pinterest
  • Linkedin
    Linkedin
  • WhatsApp
    WhatsApp
  • Email
    Email

Many of General Mills’ cereals may be magically delicious, but they’re about to look very different in the next couple of years. The company announced that it plans to remove all artificial flavours and colours from its cereals, which means those purple horseshoes and chocolaty puffs will no longer look like what you know them to be.

Starting with Trix and Reese’s Puffs, GM expects 90 per cent of its cereals to get the au naturel treatment by the end of 2016, and the remaining 10 per cent will be following suit in 2017.

With customers growing more concerned about processed foods and what’s actually going in their kids’ — and their own — bodies, food companies have had to step it up and rid their products of ingredients that don’t look natural. Comme ci:

https://www.tumblr.com/

Trix will now use ingredients like fruit/vegetable juices and spice extracts such as turmeric and annatto to create the bright red, yellow, orange and purple colours, the company said. Reese’s Puffs will continue to use peanut butter and cocoa but will now enhance it with natural vanilla flavouring.

“We have a lot of hard work ahead of us and we know some products will present challenges as we strive to uphold the taste, quality and fun in every spoonful of cereal,” Kate Gallager, General Mills cereal developer, said in a release. There are a few vibrant Trix pieces that have been giving them some trouble, Gallager said, adding that the biggest challenge will likely be the marshmallows in Lucky Charms.

General Mills, which also makes Cheerios, Chex and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, did point out that more than 60 per cent of its cereals are already made without artificial colours and flavours. Here’s hoping the ones that do change will be just as colourful and delicious as they’ve been for all these years.

Better start hoarding those delicious, delicious marshmallows now, while you have the chance.