The stress of a wedding can definitely be debilitating. But for one groom in Colorado, it wasn’t his nerves that left him almost paralyzed before his big day.
Johnny Benson and Laura Loretz were in Horsetooth Reservoir posing for pictures with wedding photographer Maddie Mae. Everything seemed great at first, as the couple got a selection of ultra-romantic images to add to their future photo album:
As the old saying goes though, love hurts.
Just when the couple was posing for another round of photos, a rattlesnake leaped out of the bush and bit Benson in the leg.
“A Larimer County Park Ranger was driving by, and all 3 of us started waving furiously at him,” Mae wrote in a Facebook message. “He rolls down the window and we yelled, ‘[Benson] just got bit by a rattlesnake!’ The ranger, obviously not hearing what we said, yelled back, ‘CONGRATULATIONS!'”
Eventually, the ranger heard what they were yelling, came over and had Benson elevate his leg. Emergency staff arrived a short time later.
Obviously, this is exactly how the couple dreamed their wedding shoot would go.
“Laura, his new wife of less than 2 hours, got in the ambulance with him and I followed in my car to the hospital,” Mae wrote.
Once they arrived, hospital staff quickly determined that the rattlesnake had not actually injected any venom into the bite, and the couple was cleared to head back to the reception.
By the time they arrived, they were only one hour late.
“I’ve never seen such a emotional grand entrance as all 184 guests cheered when Johnny & Laura walked in, and showered them in a sea of passionate hugs,” Mae wrote. “I admire Laura & Johnny so much for staying calm, and holding each other’s hand through the first great test of their brand new marriage.”
Here’s to many more (hopefully snake-bite free) years ahead for the happy couple.