Imagine this: coming home after a long day, sitting down at the table, and digging into a delicious bowl of hearty spaghetti. Smothered with your favourite sauce, topped with cheese and down the hatch. A comfort food meal if ever there was.
As good as it sounds, maybe you’re not able to indulge because of a gluten allergy, or perhaps you just have a hate-on for carbs (gasp!). Even if you’re just looking to kick up your healthy eating a notch, you’re going to love this take on a classic dish. Swap store-bought noodles with your favourite vegetable, such as zucchini, and using either a spiralizer, madolinne or julienne peeler, prep your very own, super-healthy veggie noodles in no time.
Zucchini “pasta” aglio e olio
What you need
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon almond flour or almond meal
- 4 large zucchinis, sliced with a julienne peeler
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
What you do
- Start by making the noodles. Wash the zucchini and slice it into noodles using the method of your choice (for this recipe, we’ve used the julienne peeler). Make sure your noodles aren’t too thin (around 1/4″ will do) and don’t use the core of the vegetable where the seeds are.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the coconut oil. Once melted, add the almond flour and salt to create your breadcrumbs. Stir well until golden brown and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes, followed by the zucchini noodles, making sure the noodles are evenly coated. Sauté until just tender, about one to two minutes then turn the heat down to low.
- Add in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Get ready to plate! Place your freshly-cooked noodles on to a dish and garnish with the almond flour breadcrumbs.
- Dig in and enjoy!