Holiday sprinkle shortbread
Makes approximately 24 medium cookies
What you need:
- 2 cups (450 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (125 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 4 ½ cups (565 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Christmas sprinkles (I prefer jimmies)
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C) and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 15 seconds. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix on low speed to incorporate, and then add the vanilla bean paste. Beat on medium speed until well-mixed, about 10 seconds.
- With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add the flour. Once the dough comes together, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl to release any clinging flour. Mix again on low speed, just until the dough is well mixed. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness, following the same instructions as for Sugar Cookies. Cut cookies and place them on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about an inch apart (they won’t spread much at all). Bake until just firm, 15-18 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Cookies will keep for 2 weeks in an air-tight container.