Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has officially been dethroned. Forbes has released its annual list of highest paid actors around the world and you might be clutching your pearls at who took the top spot. Here are a couple of hints: He’s not in the Marvel or DC worlds. The movie that he made the bulk of his money from in 2016 was critically panned. And when pressed, he, like The Rock, might also be able to do the pec pop of love.
Yeah, it’s about that time. Can you feel it, baby? Feel the vibration? Because that’s the sound of Mark Wahlberg‘s bank account enjoying its fullness.
That’s right, the actor formerly known as Marky Mark earned $68 million in Forbes‘ 12-month window, besting Johnson who made $64.5 mil. We’re trying not to feel sorry for you, Dwayne.
Transformers: The Last Knight may have earned the actor a ton of boos but it also scored him a huge paycheque. Thanks to the deal he and his people cut, Wahlberg got a hefty salary even though his movie wasn’t watched by as many as they hoped.
The list of top-earning men comes on the heels of Emma Stone squeaking past Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Lawrence for the No. 1 spot for the actresses. And if you compare both lists, it shows just how massive the gender pay gap still is. The man in the No. 11 spot made 5.5 million more than Stone, and that’s more than a little ridiculous.
Here are the men that made the most:
Hollywood’s top-earning man might surprise you
11. Chris Hemsworth ($31.5 million)He's got the third Thor movie coming out later this year, not to mention all that other Marvel money. Forbes adds that he's the biggest percent gainer on the list, up 250% from last year. Damn.Getty Images
10. Akshay Kumar ($35.5 million)The Bollywood star has been raking it in for nearly 30 years, starring in four movies this past year alone. Add in endorsements and he's got it made in the shade.Getty Images
9. Salman Khan ($37 million)Sultan became the second-highest grossing Bollywood movie of 2016, securing Khan's position as one of India's biggest stars.Getty Images
8. Shah Rukh Khan ($38 million)His deals ensure upfront fees plus a cut of the back-end, so it's no wonder they call him King Khan.Getty Images
7. Tom Cruise ($43 million)His career might slowly be starting to take a turn, but Cruise isn't running away without giving it a fight. Despite critics calling The Mummy his worst movie ever, he still earned an estimated eight figures from it. Add in what he was paid upfront for the sixth Mission: Impossible movie and he's doing fine, thank you very much.Getty Images
6. Robert Downey Jr. ($48 million)2015's top-earner continues to make millions for playing Iron Man/Tony Stark.Getty Images
5. Jackie Chan ($49 million)China's movie market is bigger than North America's, so while he might not be seen in many mainstream films on this side of the world, he's doing pretty well over there.Getty Images
4. Adam Sandler ($50.5 million)It doesn't matter how bad his movies are, there's always an audience for them and his deal with Netflix, which earned him an estimated $250 million for four original movies, proves that. In fact, the streaming service signed him up for four more flicks, so expect to see him on this list next year.Getty Images
3. Vin Diesel ($54.5 million)The eighth Fast and Furious movie was the highest-grossing movie of 2017, earning $1.2 billion worldwide. Add in his work on xXx: The Return of Xander Cage and voicing the adorable baby Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and he's rolling in it.Getty Images
2. Dwayne Johnson ($65 million)The former wrestler has bodyslammed his way into Hollywood's most elite ring. Whether he's starring in remakes like Baywatch and Jumanji, lending his voice to Disney hit Moana, or charging top dollar for his role in HBO's Ballers, he's kicking ass and taking names.Getty Images
1. Mark Wahlberg ($68 million)Forget Marky Mark; he should be called Richie Rich. Thanks to the aforementioned Transformers sequel, and upfront fees for Daddy's Home 2, add in a helping of his A&E reality show Wahlburgers, and top it off with his AT&T endorsement and that's how you land the top spot.Getty Images