Horseradish Shrimp Cocktail on Goat Cheese Crèmes
Makes six 5 oz (150 g) servings (Serves 6)
Prep: 35 minutes, plus chilling
Cook: 30 minutes
Make Ahead: You can refrigerate the prepared ramekins without the shrimp topper, covered, for up to 8 hours.
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the goat cheese crèmes
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 2% milk
- 5 oz (150 g) fresh goat cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) Prepared Horseradish (page 154)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoons (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
For the shrimp
- 8 cups water
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 (14 oz/400 g) bag frozen 16/20 shrimp or 21/30 shrimp, in their shells, thawed
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Prepared Horseradish (page 154)
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) capers
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) finely shredded radicchio
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Place six 5 oz (150 g) ramekins or ovenproof glass jars in a roasting pan.
- For the crèmes, place the cream and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring it to just below a simmer. Set aside.
- Place the goat cheese in a mixing bowl, beat it to smooth it out a little and then beat in the egg and egg yolk, switching to a whisk to make sure the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the horseradish, dill, lemon juice and salt. Slowly whisk in the hot cream.
- Use a ladle to divide the cream mixture evenly among the ramekins (they will be about half-full). Pour boiling water into the roasting pan until it reaches the level of the custards.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, until the custards jiggle only slightly in the centre. Let the brûlées cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer the ramekins from the pan to the rack to cool completely. Chill, uncovered, for at least 2 hours.
- For the shrimp, place 8 cups (2 L) of water, the lemon and onion in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium, so it is at a gentle simmer. Cook the shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes, until fully pink. Drain the shrimp, and discard the lemon and onion. Run the shrimp under cold water for 1 minute and then peel them. Set aside.
- Prepare a dressing by mixing the mayonnaise, horseradish, dill, lemon juice and capers together in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp and toss well to coat. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, place each ramekin on a small serving plate. Arrange a few shrimp on top of each crème and top with the shredded radicchio.