Kimchi is one of the most important parts of Korean cuisine, so how did this classic Korean dish rise the ranks to the ultimate popularity? Chef Sang Kim explains the importance of the dish in the video clip above, and you can find his recipe below.
Napa Cabbage Kimchi (Poggi Style)
There are three parts to this:
WHAT YOU NEED:
To make the kimchi base
- 2 tbsp anchovy sauce
- 1/2 Asian pear, peeled
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1" fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salted shrimp
- 3/4 cup Korean chili flakes
WHAT YOU DO:
- In a blender or food processor add all the ingredients and process until as smooth as possible.
- Dump the blended ingredients into a stainless bowl.
To prepare the cabbage
- 2lb Napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup Kimchi base
WHAT YOU DO:
- Slice cabbage into quarters lengthwise and leave on cutting board.
- Salt the cabbage on the white parts of the of each and every leaf all the way to the core.
- 3After letting it soften/wilt for 6 hours, rinse the salt from the cabbage quarters in cold water. Squeeze out excess water.
- Smear the leaves with Kimchi Base. Host and I put on gloves and place a cabbage quarter on the cutting board, inside of the cabbage facing up. Page through the cabbage and smear a bit Kimchi Base on each leaf.
To store the kimchi
- Pack the kimchi by folding the cabbage in half, ensuring there are no air pockets