Dulce de leche, loosely translated, means “candy of milk.” Basically, sweetened milk is slowly heated until a chemical reaction occurs. But you don’t need to be a chemist to make it yourself.
And, as it happens, we’ve got a trick that takes all of the guess work out of the equation. You won’t need to watch over a pot, stirring frequently until something bubbles. All you need is a crock pot and some time.
What you need
- 1 crock pot
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
How it’s made
- Fill crock pot with water.
- Peel label off sweetened condensed milk, then place unopened in the water.
- Put lid on crock pot, cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Use tongs to transfer the can to counter.
- Let cool.
- Open can, and see the magic before you.
- Serve on ice cream, dipped in fruit or however you like.