WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) canola oil
- 3 shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into ¼- inch (5 mm) slices
- 1 large green chili pepper, diced (use half if you do not like spice)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) black pepper
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup (250 ml) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 small (6-inch/15 cm) corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) crumbled queso fresco (or any soft fresh cheese)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) sour cream (double this is you do not like spice)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Heat the canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, or until they become translucent. Add the red pepper and green chili pepper and continue sautéing for another 3 minutes. Add the water, tomatoes, chili powder, salt and black pepper; stir to combine. Turn the heat down to medium, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) butter, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down to low, add the black beans and the remaining 1 teaspoon (5 ml) butter, stir thoroughly, then remove from the heat and keep warm.
- In a medium frying pan, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and turn the heat down to medium. Cook the eggs sunny side up for about 5 minutes. At the same time, heat a large frying pan over high heat and lightly toast the tortillas on both sides.
- To assemble, arrange the tortillas on plates and top each with 1 sunny side up egg. Spoon the Salsa around the eggs and over the tortilla. Garnish with crumbled queso fresco, cilantro, and a drizzle of sour cream.
Recipe excerpted from ‘Brunch Life’