Julia Child’s Cherry Clafoutis cake
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 tsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups pitted cherries, halved
- Icing sugar
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and butter a 9-inch ceramic pie plate with the room temperature butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and salt. While whisking, slowly pour in the milk followed by the vanilla extract, melted butter, and finally the flour. Whisk the batter well so that no lumps remain then pour it into the prepared pie dish. Gently scatter the cherries over top of the batter. If you want to be a little extra fancy and more Julia-esque, dot the cherries over the batter so that they are all cut side up. Some will sink but that’s ok.
- Gently transfer the clafoutis to the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the edges are puffed and the middle is almost set. Allow the clafoutis to cool slightly or all the way to room temperature, dust it with icing sugar, and slice into wedges for serving.
- Note: The texture of a clafouti is like the perfect balance between a thick crepe, flan, crème caramel, and almost a pound cake. Really, it’s like nothing else and that is such a good thing!