Want a refreshing dessert that’s a real crowd-pleaser? These shortcakes will certainly do the trick. Think layers of delicious cream, citrus curd and butter and sugar and everything nice. What’s amazing about these shortcakes is they aren’t super sweet, thanks to a bit of pucker from the bitterness of the grapefruit. It’ll awaken your senses and transport you to a place where the sun is always shining. Make it for dessert tonight:
Florida Grapefruit Shortcakes
What you need
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grapefruit juice
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Whipped cream (see tips)
- 2 Florida ruby red grapefruits, segmented
- Icing sugar (optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp (12 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking soda and salt
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) cold buttermilk (approx)
- Egg wash (see tips)
How it’s made
Tips: To make egg wash, whisk together 1 egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of milk. For whipped cream, beat 1 cup (250 mL) 35 per cent whipping cream with 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract.
- Whisk together yolks, grapefruit rind and juice, lemon juice, sugar, salt and vanilla in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, one piece at a time, stirring until smooth.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cold.
Dough and Plating
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until fine meal forms.
- Drizzle in enough buttermilk to bind dough.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently until combined.
- Pat out dough to 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick.
- With round cookie cutter, cut out 3 inch (7.5 cm) biscuits.
- Gather scraps and cut out more biscuits.
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Split biscuits in half and spoon bottom half with Grapefruit curd.
- Place grapefruit segments over top and dollop with whipped cream.
- Cover with top and sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.