Pumpkin Soup topped with Cheesy Popcorn
Makes 4-6 portions
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4-5 pound sugar pie pumpkin
- 6-8 tbsp olive oil (half for the roasted pumpkin and the other half for the onions and garlic)
- 1 large white onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1L vegetable stock
- ½ cup 35% cooking cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheesy popcorn*
WHAT YOU DO:
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Halve the pumpkin and remove the seeds (these are great to roast for another time). Cut the halves into four pieces and place on a parchment lined baking sheet cut side down.
- Place into the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from the oven, cool until you are able to handle it and then remove the skin from the pumpkin, place into a bowl and reserve. • In a large cast iron pot on medium low heat add in the olive oil, and the onions. Cook until they are translucent. Add in the garlic, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg. Then add in the pumpkin and cover with vegetable stock (it should cover the mixture-if this is not enough vegetable stock simply top up with water), bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, then remove from the heat to cool. Using a hand blender, blend the soup until it is creamy. Then add in the cream, salt and pepper.
- Plate in a bowl and top with cheezy popcorn and extra cracked pepper.
- *Cheesy popcorn is so simple to make! Put a microwavable bag of popcorn into the microwave following the instructions on the package. Remove from the bag, place into a bowl and toss with ½ cup parmigiano reggiano while it is still hot.