It’s officially time to ditch the boxed brownie mixes because we found the easiest, most delicious from-scratch recipe. It’s short on ingredients and elbow-grease, and big on flavour. It’s a win-win! Plus, it’s chocolate on chocolate, so there’s literally no excuse not to try it out yourself. It’ll be the biggest hit at the next school bake-sale, that is, if you can keep the tray full long enough to make it there. To be on the safe side, you better make a double batch.
CLASSIC FROSTED BROWNIES
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant espresso granules (optional)
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup soft unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, then grease lightly with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in cocoa powder and beat for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla extract and espresso granules.
- Add in flour and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Pour batter into lined baking dish and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, powdered sugar and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Mix in milk and vanilla extract.
- Once brownies have had a chance to cool slightly, spread frosting evenly over the top.
- Try to allow brownies to cool completely, and let frosting set before slicing.
- Who are we kidding? Dig in!
Recipe adapted from Life In The Lofthouse