It’s easy to fall into the habit of ordering takeout after a long day of work, but often some of our favourite take-away meals are just as fast to make at home. Case in point: this fried rice recipe. You could make this dish and finish eating it before your regular delivery guy would even ring your doorbell. It’s deliciously full of flavour, but since you’re making it yourself you don’t need to worry about any added MSG. You probably already have all of the ingredients in your fridge and pantry too, so what are you waiting for?
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots and corn work well)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup green onions, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
WHAT YOU DO
- In a large skillet add oil and veggies and saute over medium heat until just cooked (about 3-4 minutes).
- Slide the veggie mix to one side of the pan and add whisked eggs to the other half. Let cook for about 2 minutes, then scramble the eggs and combine them with the veggie mixture.
- Add rice, soy sauce, garlic, onion powder, chili powder, and ground ginger to skillet. Stir well and cook over medium-high heat until browned (about 8-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in green onions.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Le Creme de la Crumb