We can’t think of a better reason to throw a huge fiesta.
To celebrate the Cinco de Mayo holiday, Chipotle has unveiled its much-coveted guacamole recipe. Frugal people who like to save their toonies and loonies can celebrate too; if you’re truly that thrifty, you won’t have to pony up the few extra dollars it costs to get some guac on the side.
That’s right — you can bring your own to your nearest Chipotle if you so desire, and the bonus is it’s stupidly easy to make. Just follow the simple seven-step recipe, below.
What You Need
- 2 ripe Hass avocados (In the restaurant, we use 48 per batch, multiple times per day)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 jalapeño, including seeds (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
What You Do
1. Choose the right avocado. It should feel squishy yet firm (like the palm of your hand), and be a nice dark green colour on the inside.
2. Cut the avocado in half and the remove the pit (carefully!).
3. Scoop the avocados and place in a medium bowl.
4. Toss and coat with lime juice.
5. Add the salt and using a fork or potato masher, mash until a smooth consistency is achieved.
6. Fold in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
7. Taste the guacamole (over and over) and adjust seasoning if necessary.